The first spring storm rolled in today. Big, thick, black clouds have come in blocking out the sun. Huge raindrops are falling splashing everyone passing by and the thunder cracks and rattles my windows. This weather makes me want to reflect about the day and in-turn eat an entire package of purple marshmallow Peeps. This year my Easter was even smaller than usual. My brother spent the day with his in-laws, my father was sick and in bed with a bad cold so this left my Mom and I to celebrate with church, a nap and a feast for two. Bright and early we went to church and listened traditional Easter sermon about the resurrection of Christ. I always enjoy John 20: 15-18 when Mary Magdalene goes to the tomb looking for Jesus and cannot find his body. When she sees Jesus she assumes that he is a gardener and is shocked when she realizes it is her teacher.
Hearing these stories reminded me of an incident that happened 5 months ago when I was at my Grandma’s house. Gram was very ill and in bed. She first calmly said, “There are people waiting for me at the end of a hall”. She exclaimed “Dad!” and then “Mama!” The look of joy that came over her face when she saw her parents for the first time in 20 years was magical. Then she was quiet for a while, all of the sudden she announced, “I see Jesus!” She had a grin on her face and a look of absolute euphoria! She said “Isn’t it amazing?” It was amazing.
Lately, I have been struggling with many nightmares. Some are weird, some are scary but I do have one meaningful reoccurring dream. In my dream, I am walking and I look over to see a small, young woman with dark hair and red lipstick walking next to me. I am walking fast and she is struggling to keep up and stay with me. She is staring into my eyes and standing very close at my side while we walk. In my dream, I wonder who is this lady and why is she so close to me? Then she smiles and I realize it’s my Gram. She is young and vibrant and the same age as me. And then I wake up.
I often remember this dream when I am rushing down the sidewalks of Chicago. Remembering this makes me slow down. It brings me peace to think that she is experiencing my new home. I think she would love it too. I hope that she is walking with me throughout my life and is always smiling. Now I am off for a rainy day walk to the store for some Peeps.

No comments:
Post a Comment